The APSARA National Authority has received over 146 cases of archaeological pieces including 11 wooden pillars, and one inscription stone from the École française d'Extrême-Orient (EFEO), or French School of Asian Studies, according to the authority’s news release this morning.
These archaeological pieces were found during excavations from 2012 to 2017 and during the restoration of the West Mebon Temple, it added.
Mr. Tin Tina, Deputy Director of the Angkor International Centre for Research and Documentation, said that this is not the first time that the EFEO hands over the artifacts found in the West Mebon Temple to the APSARA National Authority nor the only institution that has handed over the artifacts discovered during the restoration and research in the Angkor site to the APSARA.
He added that in general, all international institutions working to restore the temples and study in the Angkor area always hand over the archeological find to the APSARA National Authority after the study. In particular, in case the international institution that handed over the artifacts intends to study more of the artifacts, we will always allow it upon request.
The archeological pieces handed by the EFEO are primarily fragments of ceramics, soil for analysis, sandstone fragments, and metal fragments (iron, copper, brass). In particular, a wax Buddha statue placed in a large pot with raw thread buried in the ground, etc.
The West Mebon Temple was built in the middle of the 11th century by King Udayadityavarman II between 1049-1066 on a small island in the middle of the West baray to dedicate to the Lord Vishnu.
Source: Agency Kampuchea Press