The following is the Cambodia-Viet Nam Joint Statement released here this afternoon at the end of the two-day state visit of H.E. Nguyen Phu Trong, General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party and President of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, in Cambodia:
CAMBODIA-VIET NAM JOINT STATEMENT
1. At the invitation of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia, His Excellency Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong, General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, President of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam led a high-level Vietnamese delegation to pay a state visit to the Kingdom of Cambodia from 25 to 26 February 2019.
During the visit, His Excellency General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong had a Royal Audience with His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia, and Her Majesty Queen-Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk; and held meetings with Samdech Vibol Sena Pheakdey Say Chhum, President of the Senate, Samdech Akka Moha Ponhea Chakrei Heng Samrin, President of the National Assembly, and Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, President of the Cambodian People's Party, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
His Excellency General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong also called on His Holiness Samdech Preah Akka Mahasangharajadhipati Tep Vong, Great Supreme Patriarch of Mahanikaya, and His Holiness Samdech Preah Abhisiri Sugandha Mahasangharajadhipati Bour Kry, Great Supreme Patriarch of Dhammayuttikanikaya of the Kingdom of Cambodia, laid wreaths at the Independence Monument, laid the baskets of flowers at the Monument of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah NORODOM SIHANOUK, King-Father of Cambodia, at the Preah Reach Damnak Kantha Bopha in the Royal Palace and the Cambodia-Viet Nam Friendship Monument; visited the Embassy of Viet Nam in Phnom Penh, and met with the representatives of the Vietnamese businesses and Khmer-Vietnamese Association in Cambodia.
On this occasion, His Excellency General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong and Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen witnessed the signing ceremony of five documents, namely:
Addendum on the Revision of Article 6 and Article 17 of the Agreement between the Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia and the Government of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam on Waterway Transportation.
Protocol on Amendment to the Protocol for Implementation of the Agreement between the Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia and the Government of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam on Road Transportation.
Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Finance of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam and the Secretariat General of the National Assembly of the Kingdom of Cambodia on Provision of the Grant for the Project of Construction of new administrative buildings for Secretariat General of the National Assembly of Cambodia.
Arrangement on Bilateral Trade Enhancement between the Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia and the Government of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam.
Memorandum of Understanding on Tourism Cooperation 2019-2021 between the Ministry of Tourism of the Kingdom of Cambodia and Viet Nam Airlines.
2. In an atmosphere of solidarity, traditional friendship, mutual understanding and trust, the leaders of the two countries briefed each other on their countries' current developments and had in-depth exchange of views on the bilateral cooperation as well as regional and international issues of mutual interest.
His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and Cambodian leaders highlighted the historic significance of His Excellency Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong's first-ever state visit to Cambodia, in his capacity as General Secretary of the Communist Party of Viet Nam and President of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam; applauded the great achievements that the Vietnamese people had made in national reform, construction and defense, and firmly believed that the Vietnamese people, under the leadership of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, will attain further significant achievements and realize their national objectives for industrialization and modernization.
His Excellency General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong wholeheartedly applauded the great achievements that the people of Cambodia had attained in the national construction, defense and development; congratulated Cambodia on her successful organization of the sixth National Legislative Election that established the current National Assembly and Government and the fourth Senate Election, thereby making the solid political foundation for the peace and development of Cambodia; expressed his firm belief that under the wise reign of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and the clear-sighted leadership of the Senate, National Assembly, and the Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia, in which the Cambodian People's Party played a key role, the Cambodian people will continue to gain greater achievements in building Cambodia into a prosperous and high-income country with enhanced role and stature in the region and the world.
3. The two sides rejoiced at the excellent growth of the friendship and comprehensive cooperation between Cambodia and Viet Nam over the past years, which had contributed to maintaining peace, stability and brought about practical benefits to both peoples.
The Vietnamese side emphasized that Viet Nam held gratitude and strong affection for the valuable support and assistance that His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah NORODOM SIHANOUK, King-Father of Cambodia PREAH BOROM RATANAK KAUDH, His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, the Cambodian leaders and people extended to the people of Viet Nam throughout the struggle for national independence in the past as well as the current national construction and development. The two sides highly applauded the verdict dated 16 November 2018 by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) on the genocide committed by the Khmer Rouge regime. The Cambodian side expressed deep gratitude for the strong support and assistance extended to Cambodia by the Vietnamese leaders and people in the past and at present, and reaffirmed that the Cambodian people would always remember the invaluable assistance and support of Viet Nam for the struggle of the Cambodian people to liberate the country from the Khmer Rouge genocidal regime in 1979 and Viet Nam's active contribution to the rejuvenation and reconstruction of Cambodia.
The two sides agreed that protecting, preserving and developing the bilateral relations of good neighbourliness, traditional friendship, comprehensive cooperation, long-lasting stability on the basis of the principles agreed in the previous Cambodia-Viet Nam Joint Statements were common responsibilities of the two countries and their peoples, for the sustainable development and bright future of both countries, as well as for peace, stability, cooperation and development in the region and the world.
4. Both sides agreed to strengthen and deepen their political relations; increase the effectiveness of the bilateral cooperation mechanisms; expand cooperation and mutual support among all the competent national and local institutions of the two countries continue to organize joint events to deepen the importance of the bilateral relations; promote the awareness and education on the traditional friendship and solidarity between Cambodia and Viet Nam among the two peoples, especially the young generation; continue to cooperate in renovating the Viet Nam-Cambodia Friendship Monuments in each country.
5. The two sides agreed to promote and improve the efficiency of the economic, cultural, educational, medical, scientific and technological cooperation on the basis of each country's potentials and strengths; promote the effective implementation of the Agreements, Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) between the two Governments; negotiate and sign new Agreements/MOUs and continue to amend and supplement Agreements/MOUs, where necessary, to facilitate the legal framework for the bilateral cooperation and prioritize the connection of the two economies, transportation, energy, telecommunications, tourism. At the same time, both sides also agreed to take measures to improve the investment environment; strive to bring the two-way trade turnover to USD 5 billion at the earliest after reaching USD 4.7 billion in 2018; strengthen cooperation to improve the quality of education, training and human resource development, especially the highly qualified human resources.
6. The two sides stressed the importance and agreed to strengthen defense and security cooperation on the principle of not allowing any political or military forces to use the territory of one country to harm the national security of the other, and to settle emerging issues between the two countries by peaceful means; strengthen coordination with a view to maintaining the political stability, security, social order and safety in both countries; to step up coordination in humanitarian issues such as natural disaster preparedness, and joint exercise for search and rescue activities; prevention and combat against transnational crimes; continue to coordinate in locating, excavating and repatriating the remains of the fallen Vietnamese voluntary soldiers in Cambodia.
7. The Vietnamese side expressed its appreciation to the Kingdom of Cambodia for the kind support and non-discriminatory treatment given to the people of Vietnamese origin in Cambodia.
8. Both sides reaffirmed their commitment to respect and fully implement all the mutually accepted border delimitation treaties, and border-related agreements signed between the two countries; commended the efforts made by the Joint Commission on Demarcation and Abornment for Land Boundary (JBC) to accomplish 84% of the total land border demarcation and marker planting workload; and agreed to promote an early finalization for the signing of two legal documents recognizing the accomplishment of 84% of the total land border demarcation and marker planting workload by the JBC. The two sides supported the JBC of the two countries to continue to coordinate and to accelerate the negotiation to resolve the remaining border segments, with a view to build a borderline of peace, friendship, stability, cooperation and sustainable development between the two countries.
9. The two sides agreed to regularly share information, closely and effectively coordinate and support each other in international and regional issues, especially under the cooperation framework of ASEAN, the United Nations and the Mekong sub-regional mechanisms, contribute to maintaining peace, stability, cooperation and development in the region and the world.
The two sides agreed to continue to strengthen close cooperation and coordination between each other and with the related countries and international organizations to ensure sustainable and effective management and use of the Mekong River water resources, water related resources and friendly environment of the Mekong River, and to harmonize the interests of the Mekong Basin countries.
The two sides continued to highlight the importance of the maintenance of peace, stability, security, and navigation and overflight safety in the South China Sea; agreed to promote the settlement of disputes in the South China Sea by peaceful means, exercise of self-restraint, non-use of force or threat of force, in accordance with the universally recognized principles of international laws, including the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea 1982 (UNCLOS); and committed together with other concerned parties to fully and effectively implementing the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC) in its entirety and promoting an early conclusion of a substantive and effective Code of Conduct in the South China Sea (COC), thus contributing to preserving peace, security, stability, cooperation and development in the region and the world.
10. The two sides highly appreciated the good results and the historic significance of the state visit by His Excellency General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong to the Kingdom of Cambodia which contributes to further strengthening mutual trust, bringing the good neighbourliness, traditional friendship, comprehensive cooperation, long-lasting stability between the two countries to be more intensive, practical and efficient, for the benefits of the two peoples, and contributing to peace, stability, cooperation and development in the region and the world.
His Excellency General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong extended sincere thanks to His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia, Cambodian leaders and Cambodian people for their amicable welcome and warm hospitality that truly reflected the friendship and solidarity between Cambodia and Viet Nam.
His Excellency General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong warmly extended an invitation to His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia, Her Majesty Queen-Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk, and Cambodian leaders to visit Viet Nam. His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and Cambodian leaders sincerely thanked and accepted with great pleasure the invitation. The specific time of the visits will be arranged through the diplomatic channel in due course.
Source: Agency Kampuchea Press