Deal Adds Emerging ‘Northside Festival’, ‘Taste Talks’ Series, ‘SummerScreen’, Regional ‘Brooklyn Magazine’ and Associated Properties to Zealot’s Growing Portfolio
LOS ANGELES and NEW YORK, June 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Zealot Networks, a digital-first media and entertainment company that empowers entrepreneurs and creators, announced the acquisition of Northside Media Group, a Brooklyn-based firm with innovative large-scale live events, digital publishing and traditional print properties.
The purchase brings a series of unique events as well as established print and online publishing vehicles to Zealot’s global portfolio. The group’s Northside Festival is reminiscent of the early days of South by Southwest with music, innovation and film at the forefront. Taste Talks, held in Brooklyn and Chicago, represents a fast-growing event series celebrating the future of taste and SummerScreen is Brooklyn’s preeminent outdoor film screening series. On the publishing side, Brooklyn Magazine offers an accessible haven for creative and curious people.
“Northside Media is an incredible asset for Zealot with its strong multiplatform publishing and event businesses emerging from one of the most creative hubs in the world,” said Danny Zappin, president and CEO of Zealot Networks. “The brand has built a strong regional presence by successfully exploring the concept of ‘what’s next,’ and their offerings resonate with millennials, tastemakers and those seeking something authentic and cutting edge. Through our support, we believe the brand has potential to go beyond its regional origins and become a global player.”
“Our dream in starting Brooklyn Magazine, along with all the magazines and festivals now collectively under the Northside umbrella, was always to give a voice to the young emerging writers and artists in Brooklyn, like ourselves, who were invisible to the Manhattan media machine,” said Scott and Daniel Stedman, co-founders of Northside Media Group. “For 12 years, we’ve helped Brooklyn grow into the spotlight it deserves and into the global brand that it’s become. Our partnership with Zealot will allow the company to flourish as we look to grow it beyond Brooklyn, and as our festivals truly come into their own as beacons for discovery.”
Northside Media Group properties include:
- Northside Festival – Now in its seventh year, Northside is a discovery festival where all eyes turn to Brooklyn to identify “what’s next.” From June 8-14, over 100,000 creatives and cultural trendsetters descend on what has been called ” Brooklyn’s very own South by Southwest” to discover the future of music, innovation and film with artists and thought leaders that live at the center of creativity. The festival consumes virtually every venue, concert space and screening room in the Williamsburg and Greenpoint neighborhoods of Brooklyn; the 2015 event features 400 bands, 150 speakers and 50 films spread over seven days, custom-curated for music, innovation and film enthusiasts.
- Taste Talks – Founded in 2013, Taste Talks is a national series of festivals celebrating the future of taste through symposia, tastings, dinners and parties. Bringing together thought leaders and luminaries from around the world, Taste Talks allows everyday food enthusiasts to engage in great conversation, amazing food and one-of-a-kind experiences.
- SummerScreen – Brooklyn’s popular outdoor film and concert series free to the public and held during July & August in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg neighborhood.
- Brooklyn Magazine – Available in print with additional web-only content, Brooklyn Magazine is an upscale quarterly that celebrates Brooklyn’s charm, authenticity and opportunity. The online version of Brooklyn Magazine features additional content including blogs for food and style, as well as Brooklyn Abridged, a comprehensive news feed for the borough.
- The L Magazine – Founded in 2003, The L Magazine is a free bi-weekly magazine in New York City featuring investigative articles, arts and culture commentary, and event listings. It is available through distribution in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Hoboken as well as online.
- The Culture Network – Comprised of the monthly program guides for the best cultural institutions in NYC, The Culture Network delivers show-related content for The Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), the Joyce Theater, New York Live Arts and Playwrights Horizons to over 40,000 performing arts patrons.
About Northside Media Group:
The Northside Media Group develops and sells content, community and experiences inspired by the Brooklyn culture to brands, readers and audiences. Founded in 2003 by brothers Scott and Daniel Stedman and based in Brooklyn, the company executes a number of successful experiential live events such as the Northside Festival, Taste Talks and SummerScreen in Brooklyn, Austin, Miami and Chicago. The Northside Media Group also publishes regional niche magazines and associated digital properties, including Brooklyn Magazine, The L Magazine and The Cultural Network, reaching a total audience of 1 million per month. For more information, please visit www.northsidemediagroup.com.
About Zealot Networks, Inc.:
Zealot Networks, Inc. is a digital-first media and entertainment company that empowers entrepreneurs and creators. The company is poised to lead the next chapter in the ongoing evolution of digital media with its new holistic approach to connecting entrepreneurs with brands and like-minded communities based on transparency, ingenuity and experience. Zealot is a privately funded company led by a well-rounded, talented team who share the same values and vision: Co-founded by President and CEO Danny Zappin; CFO Bob Vanech; CSO Conn Fishburn and CMO Chad Seymour. For more information, please visit www.zealotnetworks.com.
SOURCE Zealot Networks