The Most Ambitious Consumer Call to Action Ever for Pepsi Taps Global Superstars, New Technologies and Powerful Partners for Amazing Experiences Designed to Launch a Global Movement and Galvanize Generations to “Live For Now”
PURCHASE, N.Y., March 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Take the #PepsiChallenge and step out of your routine to do something different.
Experience the interactive Multimedia News Release here: http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7465451-2015-pepsi-challenge/
Beginning today and continuing throughout 2015, this will become the hallmark of the Pepsi® Challenge™ as Pepsi unleashes its biggest socially-led, content driven initiative ever with a variety of global and local challenges designed to galvanize consumers around the world to defy convention, make every moment — big or small — epic, and truly "Live for Now." Issued on Pepsi social and digital channels and via renowned ambassadors from around the world, #PepsiChallenge will incite consumers to take on different challenges for amazing life experiences and rewards.
Imbued with the cultural standing that has become its trademark, the 2015 content-driven, socially-led Pepsi Challenge will bring out-of-this-world films, once-in-a-lifetime music events, unique sports experiences and a global movement that will light up entire communities.
"Pepsi Challenge is an iconic piece of our brand equity and in many ways established our can-do attitude and spirit," said Kristin Patrick, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, PepsiCo Global Beverage Brands. "When we talked to consumers around the globe about what challenge meant to them today, they resoundingly said that it entailed challenging convention and daring to do something differently. We used that sentiment as our inspiration to expand beyond just taste and re-imagine the Pepsi Challenge for new generations, creating this cross-pollination of experiences, events, community and social advocacy, designed to ignite a mindset that challenges the status quo, our fans and ourselves."
The 2015 Pepsi Challenge
Global challenges will be unveiled across areas of pop culture that consumers are passionate about — technology, music, sports and design — and are accessible by visiting www.PepsiChallenge.com and Pepsi social channels around the world. Among the global challenges:
- Technology: An unprecedented, inaugural brand collaboration with UrtheCast, which is providing the world’s first full-color Ultra High-Definition video camera in space. Featuring out-of-this-world footage captured by UrtheCast’s HD video camera and its medium-resolution camera onboard the International Space Station (ISS), Pepsi will challenge live production conventions with the first-ever, epic film adventure shot from space.
- Music: A can’t miss experience at Rock In Rio Brazil, the biggest music festival in the world that for 30 years has showcased an unparalleled collection of performers in one place.
- Sports: A collection of unconventional global sporting events and experiences anchored by some of the world’s most beloved sports heroes.
- Design: An extraordinary opportunity for fans to re-envision the facade of a Pepsi can with their own creative designs and flair.
Global challenges will be augmented by regionally relevant challenges designed to capture the authentic essence of their market. Examples from around the world include "Crash the Pepsi IPL," a three-month campaign challenging consumers in India to create and submit their own Pepsi ad for a chance to be aired during Indian Premier League games during the 2015 Pepsi IPL season; regional food-focused challenges in Thailand; and a Latin America summer music challenge tied to La Gira Refrescante.
Pepsi Challenge Ambassadors
Each global challenge will be led by a global Pepsi ambassador. Chosen for their ability to transcend borders and challenge convention, these global ambassadors include:
- Eight-time Grammy award winning entertainer with more than 65 million records sold worldwide, Usher
- 19-time tennis Grand Slam champion and undisputed greatest female tennis player of all-time, Serena Williams
- The rising futbol superstar who served notice to the world in 2014, Colombia and Real Madrid’s James Rodriguez
- The "Fastest Man Alive" and six-time Olympic gold medalist, Usain Bolt
- World-renowned fashion designer, creative director and fashion editor widely known for collaborations with Diesel, Uniqlo and Lady Gaga, Nicola Formichetti
- Mobile storyteller and international social media phenomenon with the most followed Snapchat account in the world, Jerome Jarre
"Throughout my life I have aspired to live each day with purpose and as an artist it is especially important to take risks and follow your passions," said Usher. "It is great to team up with Pepsi to encourage people all over the world to live their life to the fullest and experience things they may have never dreamed of before."
Underpinning and uniting each and every #PepsiChallenge is a way for people around the world to make an impact. Through a partnership with the Liter of Light organization, Pepsi will bring cost effective solar lighting solutions to communities in need while recycling plastic bottles. To date, Liter of Light has provided ecologically-sustainable lighting solutions, free of cost, to more than 18 countries including Brazil, India, Kenya, Colombia, Indonesia, Mexico, Egypt, Pakistan and the Philippines. Through an expansion of an existing partnership with PepsiCo, every time consumers around the world use the #PepsiChallenge hash tag on public Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or YouTube profiles, Pepsi will donate $1 to Liter of Light to help bring light to people around the world who need it most.
The global, 360-integrated Pepsi Challenge program will also include several global television commercials, digital content, consumer engagement programs, point of sale, special packaging, impactful out of home and a robust digital and social program. Fans can participate in the #PepsiChallenge by following Pepsi on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in their local country, as well as visiting www.PepsiChallenge.com.
PepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated more than $66 billion in net revenue in 2014, driven by a complementary food and beverage portfolio that includes Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Quaker and Tropicana. PepsiCo’s product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales. At the heart of PepsiCo is Performance with Purpose — our goal to deliver top-tier financial performance while creating sustainable growth in shareholder value. In practice, Performance with Purpose means providing a wide range of foods and beverages from treats to healthy eats; finding innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment and reduce our operating costs; providing a safe and inclusive workplace for our employees globally; and respecting, supporting and investing in the local communities where we operate. For more information, visit www.pepsico.com.