NBTC Gets over 35,000 Blood Bags in First Five Months

During the first five months of this year, the National Blood Transfusion Centre (NBTC) received more than 35,000 blood bags from charitable people across the country.

The figure was shared by Dr. Hok Kim Cheng, Director of NBTC, at a humanitarian event organised by Cho Ray Phnom Penh Hospital this morning.

But, he added, the blood donation is still low compared to the need in blood which keeps increasing every year. Blood needs saw an increase by 15 to 20 percent, or about 85,000 blood bags this year compared to 2017.

The rate of voluntary unpaid blood donation is only 35 percent while the rest, 65 percent, are family replacement blood donations, he pointed out.

Dr. Hok Kim Cheng said that in the coming year, NBTC will try its best to increase voluntary unpaid blood donation to 50 percent and 100 percent by 2020 to meet the requirement of World Health Organisation.

Last year, NBTC got and supplied 75,000 blood bags to hospitals throughout the country

Source: Agency Kampuchea Press