Global sporting legend headlines advertising campaign for the iconic integrated resort
SINGAPORE, March 12, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Marina Bay Sands today unveiled its latest advertising campaign starring global sporting legend David Beckham.
For the full multimedia release, click here: http://www.prnasia.com/mnr/marinabay_201503.shtml
Directed by award-winning American director and photographer Anthony Mandler, the multi-million dollar "Never Settle" campaign enables consumers to discover the integrated resort through the eyes of Beckham in a series of print and television commercials. Featuring Beckham at the iconic architecture marvel, the campaign highlights the luxury retail, fine dining, leisure and entertainment experiences that have become synonymous with Marina Bay Sands.
"The Never Settle campaign brings to life the shared values and passion of Marina Bay Sands, our consumers and David Beckham, celebrating the spirit of advancement that inspires an ongoing pursuit of excellence. It’s about experiencing the best that life has to offer. As we progress into 2015, we’re committed to delivering exceptional and memorable experiences that live up to the Never Settle concept," said George Tanasijevich, CEO and President of Marina Bay Sands.
The four advertisements from the campaign will appear in local and regional dailies, magazines and billboards across Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and China, with the commercial airing on various digital platforms, TV and network cable channels.
In the 2-minute commercial, Beckham can be seen pulling up in a sleek vehicle and entering into the glitzy world of Marina Bay Sands. The many experiences that unfold within the award-winning destination are illustrated through scenes of Beckham experiencing celebrity chef restaurant CUT, making a grand entrance into the Chairman Suite, enjoying the city’s best night views from Sands SkyPark, and raising a toast to fellow party-goers. The energy and excitement of the award-winning property are juxtaposed with scenes of tranquility at the Banyan Tree Spa, the integrated resort’s inner haven.
David Beckham said: "I have collaborated with Marina Bay Sands on a wide range of projects ranging from charity events, inspirational workshops and festive celebrations. This is a brand that always aspires to be the best in everything it does. That’s why I love Marina Bay Sands. I am thrilled to be part of its story for the ‘Never Settle’ campaign, which is about a celebration of an amazing destination."
Conceptualised by creative agency AR New York, the commercial and print advertisements were shot over two days at Marina Bay Sands in early October 2014, across many of the property’s iconic locations such as the Sands SkyPark, The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, ArtScience Museum and the Lion’s Bridge.
A particularly challenging scene was at the world-famous infinity pool at the Sands SkyPark. Not only did the crew have to ensure that its set-up and tear-down process did not affect the guest experience, it had to work around the limits accorded by the parameters of the 150-metre pool. To capture a panoramic view of the entire cityscape with Beckham in the frame, the crew built a custom-made platform for the star to walk across the pool and stand suspended above the water. The light-weight steel platform was set up and dismantled within a period of four hours, in time to catch the magical evening light without disrupting key operations. The result? Perfect shots of Beckham taking in the soaring views of the Singapore skyline from the infinity pool, 200 meters above the ground.
"It was essential for us to capture the excitement and energy of Marina Bay Sands with this commercial. We wanted to show our audience that when they visit, they should and will never settle, with the very best dining options, the ultimate entertainment, the most coveted luxury shopping and more. David is our master of ceremonies, taking us with him through the cinematic adventure that is the Marina Bay Sands experience. At every turn, there’s something more dramatic, more exuberant and more beautiful," said Anthony Mandler, a sought-after collaborator of Beckham and other celebrities such as Rihanna, Jay Z and Beyonce.
In conjunction with the campaign, Marina Bay Sands will be hosting an interactive online game themed around the "Never Settle" concept from 16 March. Each week, participants from Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia will need to identify 10 locations and experiences around the property. The highest scores will win complimentary 2N stays at Marina Bay Sands. Participants can double their points if they share their results on social media. The Grand Prize is a trip to Singapore, accommodation at Marina Bay Sands and vouchers from The Shoppes.
From the filming of the "Never Settle" commercial with David Beckham at Marina Bay Sands
- Filming took place over two days, involving overnight shoots that began at 4am on the first day. Most of the filming was done within cordoned off areas, under tight security conditions and in the wee hours of the morning – this was to ensure minimal disruption to the guest operations of Marina Bay Sands, which welcomes nearly 110,000 visitors on a daily basis.
- A total of 25.5 hours were spent filming the commercial to gather eight hours of footage, which were edited down to a 2 minute full commercial, and shorter 30- and 60-second versions.
- Over 100 Team Members were involved in the filming process to support the 125-pax professional crew on site. These behind-the-scenes heroes, spanning across MICE and Hotel operations, banquet, Visual Media, security, butler service and facilities, were responsible for providing a total of 500 hot meals, coordinating traffic flow, transporting tons of equipment from various locations, providing security and helping set the stage for each scene.
- The production offices which housed wardrobe and equipment for the commercial was as big as a Sands Expo and Convention Centre ballroom, which is equivalent to a 3-room HDB flat.
- One of the taxi stands was temporarily moved to the Convention Centre in order to cater for David Beckham’s drive-in scene.
- The ArtPath installations provided a key backdrop for many of the scenes in the commercial. As one of the largest art commissions ever completed as part of an integrated architectural process, the Art Path comprises 11 large-scale art installations created by eight internationally renowned artists.
- At the Lion’s Bridge, David Beckham is seen looking at the shiny surface of Zhan Wang’s Artificial Rock #71 and #86 which are abstract sculptures inspired by The Scholar’s Rock in China. In other scenes, Antony Gormley‘s Drift, the 3D stainless steel matrix that hangs cloud-like in the air at Hotel Tower 1, makes its appearance. David Beckham was also filmed in front of Ned Khan’s Wind Arbor, made up of 260,000 aluminum metal "flappers" covering the facade of the Hotel.
- Due to the secrecy of the campaign, David Beckham had to travel to the various locations through the back-of-house routes, and only appearing right before filming commenced. The tons of equipment also follow the same routes in the labyrinth of passages known as the Heart of House — an area that has its own 7-Eleven store, ATM machines, clinic, a Uniform Room and Dining Rooms that serve over 8,000 meals a day for Team Members.
- Still, David Beckham took a walk around The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands — much to the delight of guests, who took quick snaps of the star during these rare public moments. The pictures went viral on social media and gave rise to speculations that Beckham was in Singapore to film an advertisement for a fashion brand, when it was actually for the ‘Never Settle’ campaign.
About Marina Bay Sands Pte Ltd
Marina Bay Sands is the leading business, leisure and entertainment destination in Asia. It features large and flexible convention and exhibition facilities, 2,560 hotel rooms and suites, the rooftop Sands SkyPark, the best shopping mall in Asia, world-class celebrity chef restaurants and an outdoor event plaza. Its two theatres showcase a range of leading entertainment performances including world-renowned Broadway shows. Completing the line-up of attractions is ArtScience Museum at Marina Bay Sands which plays host to permanent and marquee exhibitions. For more information, please visit www.marinabaysands.com.
Visit the campaign website on http://www.marinabaysands.com/neversettle.html
Follow us on #NeverSettle #MarinaBaySands
Video – http://static.prnasia.com/pro/media/201503/marinabay/marinabay.mp4
Photo – http://photos.prnasia.com/prnh/20150310/8521501434-a
Photo – http://photos.prnasia.com/prnh/20150310/8521501434-b
Photo – http://photos.prnasia.com/prnh/20150310/8521501434-c
Photo – http://photos.prnasia.com/prnh/20150310/8521501434-d
Photo – http://photos.prnasia.com/prnh/20150310/8521501434-e
Photo – http://photos.prnasia.com/prnh/20150310/8521501434-f
Logo – http://www.prnasia.com/sa/2010/04/28/2010042816421.jpg