BANGKOK, Aug. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — The National Food Institute (NFI) under the Ministry of Industry is to hold the 2nd Thailand Culinary World Challenge 2014. The winner will receive the H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn trophy and $…
SHANGHAI, Aug. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Management consulting firm Kurt Salmon (www.kurtsalmon.com) is pleased to welcome Ke Chen as a partner in its Retail and Consumer Products Group practice in China.
Mr. Chen is a retail expert with more than 15 years of experience serving leading global and local Chinese retailers across multiple sectors and formats, both as a consultant and as a retail executive. He specializes in merchandising and supply chain improvement, operations strategy, IT architecture/applications, and large transformation projects.
“Kurt Salmon has unparalleled retail and consumer goods industry expertise, from strategy to operations management,” said Mr. Chen. “I look forward to helping our clients improve their operations performance, strengthen their organizations and develop overall strategies for business growth.”
Before joining Kurt Salmon, Mr. Chen worked for Accenture and IBM GBS in China, where he developed services for leading retail accounts to improve their business performance and develop their expansion programs in China. Mr. Chen was also on the business development and operations team at Walmart. Mr. Chen earned an M.B.A. from Shanghai Jiao Tong University and a bachelor of materials science and engineering from Nanjing University of Technology in China.
Rick Keller, who leads Kurt Salmon’s Retail and Merchandising work in China, lauded the diversity of Mr. Chen’s experience.
“We’re very excited to have Ke join Kurt Salmon,” he said. “He will bring invaluable insight to the challenges being faced by retailers in China today.”
NETANYA, Israel, Aug. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Lucidlogix (Lucid) today announced it will partner with TCL Corporation, one of the largest consumer electronics manufacturers in China, to integrate Lucid PowerXtend™ software into their line of mobile phones. The software will help TCL mobile devices extend battery time up to 50% when playing games, browsing the web or navigating, with up to 2-3 more hours of play time from a single charge. TCL will incorporate PowerXtend™’s comprehensive software package that includes GameXtend, NavXtend and WebXtend.
TCL boasts sales in over 160 countries, including TCL’s own TVs and mobile phones, Thomson TVs and Alcatel mobile phones. “TCL always strives to provide the best possible experience our customers, and we know battery life is a big concern for many people,” said Guo Aiping, CEO of TCL Communication. “Lucid will help us improve the way our customers use TCL devices.”
“We are very pleased to sign an agreement with a leading consumer electronics provider such as TCL, and we have every confidence in the success of our partnership. This is an important milestone for Lucid and for our steadily increasing sales in China,” said Elad Dubzinski, COO of Lucid. “Limited mobile battery life affects all mobile phone users worldwide. OEMs like TCL that choose to integrate Lucid PowerXtend™ into their products, will gain a powerful competitive edge, setting them apart from the competition.”
About TCL Corporation
Founded in 1981, TCL Corporation (000100.SZ) is one of the largest consumer electronics enterprises in China, with over 70,000 employees in 160 countries throughout the world. Currently it has three listed subsidiaries: TCL Multimedia (01070.HK), TCL Communication (02618.HK), and Tonly Electronics (01249.HK), with a diverse business portfolio covering LCD TVs, LCD panels, mobile phones, audio and video equipment, home appliances and lighting products. In 2013, TCL’s total sales reached RMB85.32 billion, and the TCL brand value exceeded RMB63.9 billion. TCL is ranked No. 3 in market share of LCD TVs, No. 5 in mobile phones, and No. 5 in LCD panels sector, on global basis. Starting from 2014, TCL is focusing its goal of building new customer-centered “product + service” business model, while pushing its transformation towards “smart + Internet technologies.” TCL is committed to its new vision of “enriching lives of its customers by rendering products and services of ultimate experience.” For more information, please visit its website: http://www.tcl.com/en.php
Lucidlogix Technologies (http://www.lucidlogix.com), develops and markets software technologies that provide power reduction solutions satisfying the continuous demand for more performance and longer mobility. Benefiting from Lucid’s core graphics technologies, Lucid’s proprietary algorithms and software solutions dramatically improves mobile performance for Android devices. Lucidlogix is privately held and headquartered in Israel.
LucidLogix and PowerXtend are trademarks or registered trademarks of LucidLogix. All other trademarks or trade names are the property of their respective owners.
SYDNEY and NEW YORK, Aug. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — MediaMath, the creator of the TerminalOne Marketing Operating System™ for digital marketers, today announced the opening of a new office in Sydney, Australia. In addition, a number of the staff from Kinected — one of Australia’s leading advertising technology companies — will join the MediaMath team in Australia to enhance their presence in the country, and broaden product offerings to clients and partners.
Kinected has worked in partnership with MediaMath for the past two and a half years in Australia, a fast-growing market that has become a key focus for MediaMath’s continued global expansion. The Kinected staff who were previously aligned with MediaMath clients will now operate from the Sydney office as part of the MediaMath team. Meanwhile, the remaining members of the Kinected team will continue to focus on other projects as a separate entity.
Erich Wasserman, Co-Founder and Chief Revenue Officer, who led MediaMath in EMEA and APAC until his promotion earlier this year, commented, “We are delighted to further establish MediaMath’s presence in the Australian market and are very excited to bring the Kinected team into the MediaMath family. We will help brands and agencies to further capitalise on the wealth of opportunities in Australia, APAC, and beyond. This is a very exciting time for MediaMath and we anticipate more announcements within the region in the near future.”
To read the official announcement of Wasserman’s role as Global CRO, click here.
Based in New York with 12 locations across 5 continents, MediaMath develops digital marketing technology and offers deep industry expertise that enables marketers to connect with consumers individually and at scale, across the entirety of the world’s digital media.
MediaMath’s TerminalOne Marketing Operating System™ allows marketers to customise their own technology infrastructure and leverage their data and industry data in the planning, execution, optimisation and analysis of digital marketing programmes, resulting in smarter decisions that grow their business. Powering the operations for thousands of marketers, including those representing 55% of the Fortune 100, TerminalOne enables them to drive transformative business results across the entire digital ecosystem.
To learn more, visit, www.mediamath.com
JINJIANG, Fujian Province, China, August 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — China Ceramics Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ Global Market: CCCL) (“China Ceramics” or the “Company”), a leading Chinese manufacturer of ceramic tiles used for exterior siding and for interior floori…
BOSTON, Aug. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — In a new report, “Assessing the Investment Priorities of Mobile Players” that examines the acquisition and investment strategies of Apple, Google and a group of leading mobile players, Strategy Analytics finds that the strategies of leading players in the global smartphone market are dominated by Apple and Google efforts aimed at strengthening their prized content and application ecosystems.
Click here for the report: http://bit.ly/1xF99vS
“More than 70% of the group’s investments are aimed at enhancing and expanding their core competencies,” states Ahmed Mostafa, Associate Consultant in Strategy Analytics US Consulting team. “Apple and Google dominate acquisitions in both dollar and number terms, and are also leaders in developing the new market opportunity in the multi-screen living room and connected home.”
“Apple has the most balanced acquisition strategy,” states Chris Ambrosio, Executive Director of US Consulting at Strategy Analytics, “supplementing its ecosystems investments with acquisitions of technology companies that extend and improve its hardware-centric enabling technologies. Overall acquisitions are rapidly becoming the new “R&D” for larger, cash-swollen mobile device and ecosystem players. Through the medium term, traditional mobile device vendors will struggle to compete using only traditional internally driven research and development efforts.”
Other findings of the report include:
– Microsoft has not followed up its bold acquisition of Nokia with acquisitions or investments in either the content and apps ecosystem or in device-centric enabling technologies. The lack of activity to quickly improve its content and apps ecosystem is an alarm signaling a lack of commitment to that important element of its mobile future.
About Strategy Analytics
Strategy Analytics, Inc. provides the competitive edge with advisory services, consulting and actionable market intelligence for emerging technology, mobile and wireless, digital consumer and automotive electronics companies. With offices in North America, Europe and Asia, Strategy Analytics delivers insights for enterprise success. www.StrategyAnalytics.com
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina, Aug. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Dixon Hughes Goodman, a leading U.S. accounting and advisory firm, is launching DHG China Resources in response to China’s status as the fastest growing market and second largest economy in the world. DHG China Resources has offices in the U.S., and Shanghai, China.
Keith Giddens, President/CEO, DHG China Resources – LEADING U.S. CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTING FIRM LAUNCHES DHG CHINA RESOURCES TO BRING CHINESE AND U.S. BUSINESS TOGETHER
According to the Rhodium Group, Chinese foreign direct investment in the U.S., has grown more than ten-fold since 2008, with the average deal value increasing from $16 million in 2008 to more than $100 million in 2013.
“Chinese investors have a ‘go big or go home’ investment philosophy for U.S. deals,” noted Keith Giddens, President and CEO of DHG China Resources. “This creates an immediate need for professional services, including accounting and advisory services, investment banking, legal counsel and more.”
DHG China Resources will present its first round of seminars October 13-24, 2014, in China. These two-day events create an international forum for Chinese investors to connect with U.S. professional services providers offering strategies for successful U.S. investment. The events also provide U.S. companies a chance to meet prospective clients, offering more reach and lower development costs than individual initiatives. The two-day seminars in October will include presentations by Dixon Hughes Goodman, Gray Construction, Development Advisors LLC, Willis and HSBC.
“Our seminars give U.S. companies a low-risk, high-value way to develop lasting relationships,” Giddens said. “Face to face meetings are a critical part of due diligence, particularly with professional service providers, so we are making a serious commitment to this important investor market, with bilingual, bicultural professionals and offices in Shanghai and the U.S. We anticipate other professional service providers will see the benefits of early engagement with Chinese investors and participate in these events.”
DHG China Resources represents an extension of Dixon Hughes Goodman’s investment in Chinese Business Services, which provides accounting, tax and consulting services to China inbound investment and supporting U.S. investment in China. Dixon Hughes Goodman’s Chinese Business Services brings together professionals who understand Chinese and American accounting standards to reduce taxes on earnings, enhance margins and grow businesses through a wide variety of compliance and advisory services. Dixon Hughes Goodman’s employee base of Chinese speakers continues to grow in the U.S., especially throughout the Southeast, with more than 15 native Chinese speakers throughout the firm’s footprint.
Following the October events, the next seminar series will be presented in China in January 2015. To learn more about these seminars and the value of being a presenting or exhibiting advisor, visit www.dhgchinaresources.com.
About DHG China Resources
With offices in the U.S., and in Shanghai, China, DHG China Resources is a bilingual, bicultural company formed to serve Chinese foreign direct investment in the U.S., along with U.S. companies seeking to do business in China. Visit www.dhgchinaresources.com for more information.
About Chinese Business Services
Dixon Hughes Goodman’s Chinese Business Services brings international focus to leverage extensive cultural, business and multilingual capabilities to provide superior accounting, tax and advisory services to inbound Chinese investment in the U.S. Visit www.dhgllp.com/services/international_tax_planning/china to learn more.
About Dixon Hughes Goodman
A Top 20 public accounting firm, Dixon Hughes Goodman provides clients in all 50 states and internationally with comprehensive assurance, tax and advisory services. Dixon Hughes Goodman focuses on major industry lines with more than 1,800 people in offices throughout 12 states. Visit www.dhgllp.com for additional information.
BRUSSELS, July 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — The following is being released by the European Centre For International Political Economy (ECIPE):
While there is an increasing demand for a discipline in the next generation FTAs that restricts SOEs in international trade, there is less debate on the proliferation of sovereign patent funds (SPFs) that are increasingly using intellectual property to engage in discriminatory industrial policy in an attempt to augment the competitiveness of ailing national champions against foreign competition.
Some SPFs, like France Brevets, even admit to being retaliatory or discriminatory instruments against foreign actors regardless of whether the original claim is legitimate or not. Such use of intellectual property by government controlled entities threatens to become a new trade defence instrument like antidumping or countervailing duties.
However, such mercantilist tactics by mid-sized economies are futile, as they only serve to legitimise similar behaviour by bigger economies like China that are actively pursuing industrial policy through defensive use of patents through R&D funding, public procurement, competition policy – and the establishment of their own SPFs.
This calls for different priorities on SOE disciplines in next-generation FTAs such as TTIP or TPP. In fact, it makes little sense to argue over SOE exports while refraining from counteracting the potentially more disrupting and systemic effects of SPFs that also spill over on innovation as well as the global trading system
Download the report here
Publication details: Sovereign Patent Funds (SPFs): Next-generation trade defence? by Hosuk Lee-Makiyama and Patrick Messerlin, ECIPE Policy Brief No. 6/2014 Published by European Centre for International Political Economy (ECIPE), ISSN 1653-8994
BEIJING, July 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Duolingo, the No.1 foreign language learning application around the world, was released on July 25th, making an exclusive debut in China by working with 360 Mobile Assistant. In just three days, the app…
SAO PAULO, July 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — The main figures obtained by Bradesco in the first half of 2014 are presented below:
- The Adjusted Net Income(1) for the first half of 2014 stood at R$ 7.277 billion (an increase of 22.9% compared to the Adjusted Net Income of R$ 5.921 billion recorded in the same period in 2013), which is equivalent to R$ 3.23 per share, and returns of 20.7% on the Adjusted Average Equity(2).
- Adjusted Net Income is composed of R$ 5.165 billion from financial activities, representing 71.0% of the total, and
R$ 2.112 billion from insurance, pension plan and capitalization bond operations, which together accounted for 29.0%.
- Bradesco’s market capitalization on June 30, 2014 was R$ 134.861 billion(3), up 8.1% compared to June 30, 2013.
- Total Assets stood at R$ 931.132 billion in June 2014, up 3.8% over June 2013. Return on Average Assets was 1.6%.
- In June 2014, the Expanded Loan Portfolio(4) reached R$ 435.231 billion, up 8.1% over June 2013. Operations with individuals totaled R$ 135.068 billion (up 9.6% over June 2013), while operations with companies totaled R$ 300.163 billion (up 7.5% over June 2013).
- Assets under Management stood at R$ 1.305 trillion, up 5.8% over June 2013.
- Shareholders’ Equity stood at R$ 76.800 billion in June 2014, up 16.3% on June 2013. The Capital Adequacy Ratio stood at 15.8% in June 2014, 12.1% of which was classified as Common Equity/Tier I.
- Interest on Shareholders’ Equity relative to the first half of 2014 was paid and recorded in provision to shareholders, in the amount of R$ 2.396 billion,being R$ 0.497 billion in monthly installments and R$ 1,899 billion recorded in provision.
- The Interest Earning Portion of the Net Interest Income stood at R$ 22.805 billion, up 8.2% compared to the first half of 2013.
- The Delinquency Ratio over 90 days dropped 0.2 p.p. in the last 12 months and stood at 3.5% on June 30, 2014 (3.7% on June 30, 2013).
- Efficiency Ratio (ER)(5) in June 2014 was 40.9% (41.8% in June 2013), whereas the adjusted-torisk ratio stood at 50.0% (52.6% in June 2013). It is worth mentioning that, in the second quarter of 2014, we recorded the best quarterly ER (38.6%) in the past 5 years.
- Insurance Written Premiums, Pension Plan Contributions and Capitalization Bond Income totaled R$ 25.442 billion in the first half of 2014, up 5.2% over the same period in 2013. Technical Reserves stood at R$ 142.731 billion, up 8.3% compared to June 2013.
- Investments in infrastructure, information technology and telecommunications amounted to R$ 2.211 billion in the first half of 2014.
- Taxes and contributions, including social security, paid or recorded in provision, amounted to R$ 14.116 billion, of which R$ 5.156 billion referred to taxes withheld and collected from third parties, and R$ 8.960 billion from Bradesco Organization activities, equivalent to 123.1% of the Adjusted Net Income(1).
- Bradesco has an extensive customer service network in Brazil, with 4,680 Branches and 3,497 Service Branches – PAs. Customers can also use any of 1,175 PAEs – ATMs (Automatic Teller Machines), 48,186 Bradesco Expresso service points, 31,509 Bradesco Dia & Noite ATMs and 16,103 Banco24Horas ATMs across the country.
- Payroll, plus charges and benefits, totaled R$ 5.651 billion. Social benefits provided to the 99,027 employees of the Bradesco Organization and their dependents amounted to R$ 1.401 billion, while investments in training and development programs totaled R$ 53,581 million.
- In May 2014, Bradesco BBI participated as one of the coordinators and joint bookrunners of a securitization transaction for Ford Motor Credit Company in the U.S., involving a US$ 1.04 billion transaction; this is the second time Bradesco BBI participates in funding operations for the U.S. automaker.
- In May 2014, Banco Bradesco and Banco do Brasil, via its subsidiary Companhia Brasileira de Solucoes e Servicos (“CBSS”), created the company LIVELO S.A. (“LIVELO”). The coalition loyalty program allows customers to accumulate and redeem points from multiple partners. The effective deployment of operations is conditioned to due compliance with applicable legal and regulatory formalities.
- In July 2014, Banco Bradesco signed a new “Tecban Shareholders’ Agreement”, including the main Brazilian retail banks, covering the consolidation of external ATM networks by the Banco24Horas ATM Network within a fouryear term, ultimately enhancing the efficiency and quality/reach of customer services rendered. The effectiveness of such Shareholders’ Agreement is subject to preceding conditions, including due approval from competent regulatory entities.
- In July 2014, Bradesco entered into a strategic partnership with IBM Brazil, which will take over the operational structure and all maintenance and support contracts entered between Scopus Servicos, an Organization Bradesco company, and its other customers.
- Major Awards and Acknowledgments in the period:
- For the third consecutive year, Bradesco was named “Best Brazilian Bank” by Euromoney Awards for Excellence. In addition Bradesco BBI was chosen as best Brazilian Investment Bank (Euromoney magazine);
- Among financial institutions, Bradesco led the ranking of most valuable brands in Brazil (IstoE Dinheiro magazine and BrandAnalytics/Milward Brown Optimor consulting firm); and
- Stood out as the only Brazilian bank ranked among the “Best Companies to Work for in Latin America” for the second consecutive year, under the “Companies with over 500 employees” category (Great Place to Work consulting firm).
The Bradesco Organization fully complies with best global sustainability and corporate governance practices, particularly: Global Compact, PRI (Principles for Responsible Investment), Equator Principles, Carbon Disclosure Project and Green Protocol. Our sustainability actions, strategies and guidelines are guided by best corporate governance practices. The Organization’s main activities focus on banking inclusion, social and environmental variables for loan approvals and product offerings, based on social and environmental aspects. Regarding responsible management and engagement with stakeholders, we highlight activities geared towards valuing professionals, improving the workplace, client relations, managing suppliers and adopting environmental management practices. We also highlight the Organization’s role in Brazilian society as one of its leading social investors, supporting education, environment, culture and athletic programs.
With its 57-year history of extensive social and educational work, Fundacao Bradesco has been a stalwart supporter of such programs, and operates 40 schools across Brazil. In 2014, an estimated budget of R$ 523.434 million will benefit approximately 105,672 students in its schools, in Basic Education (from Kindergarten to High School and Vocational Training at the High School level), Education for Youth and Adults, and Preliminary and Continuing Qualification focused on the creation of jobs and generation of income.
(1) According to the non-recurring events described on page 8 of this Report on Economic and Financial Analysis; (2) Excludes mark-to-market effect of Securities Available for Sale recorded under Shareholders’ Equity; (3) Number of shares (excluding treasury shares) multiplied by the closing price for common and preferred shares on the last trading day of the period; (4) Includes sureties and guarantees, letters of credit, advances of credit card receivables, co-obligations in loan assignments (receivables-backed investment funds and mortgage-backed receivables), co-obligations in rural loan assignments and operations bearing credit risk – commercial portfolio, which includes debentures and promissory notes; and (5) In the last 12 months.